MillionTalks: Reasons why onions are good for your health - MillionTalks

Today's Fun Links

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reasons why onions are good for your health a must-eat vegetable!

#1 User is offline   Bella 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

Attached Image: onions-health.jpg
I often hear onions are extremely good for your health. so i was wondering if it was really so. i googled onion and here's what i discovered. looks like onion is your must-eat vegetable to prevent heart diseases, cancer, colds, and a lot more!

Onion is characterized by rich content of thiosulfinates, sulfides, sulfoxides, and other odoriferous sulfur compounds. The cysteine sulfoxides are primarily responsible for the onion flavor and produce the eye-irritating compounds that induce lacrimation. The thiosulfinates exhibit antimicrobial properties. Onion is effective against many bacteria including Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella, and E. coli. Onion is not as potent as garlic since the sulfur compounds in onion are only about one-quarter the level found in garlic.

Still, new research has revealed that onion helps remove bad cholesterol from the body, which can cause heart attacks and strokes. At the same time red onions retain the body's good cholesterol, which help protect against heart disease. Likewise, onions may lower blood lipids and blood pressure. besides, onions are a rich source of flavonoids, substances known to provide protection against cardiovascular disease.

Some parts of the world where onion consumption is high have even been shown to have much lower cancer rates. Like in China, where people eat more onions and garlic than anywhere else in the world, the risk of stomach cancer is 40% lower than average.

Onions have a variety of medicinal effects. Early American settlers used wild onions to treat colds, coughs, and asthma, and to repel insects. In Chinese medicine, onions have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections, and breathing problems.

Onions are also used for the treatment of poor appetite and to prevent atherosclerosis. In addition, onion extracts are recognized by WHO for providing relief in the treatment of coughs and colds, asthma and bronchitis. Onions are known to decrease bronchial spasms. An onion extract was found to decrease allergy-induced bronchial constriction in asthma patients.

Onions are a very rich source of fructo-oligosaccharides. These oligomers stimulate the growth of healthy bifidobacteria and suppress the growth of potentially harmful bacteria in the colon. In addition, they can reduce the risk of tumors developing in the colon.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, Western Yellow, New York Bold, and Northern Red onions have the richest concentration of flavonoids and phenolics, providing them with the greatest antioxidant and anti-proliferative activity of 10 onions tested. The mild-tasting Western White and Vidalia onions had the lowest antioxidant content and lowest anti-proliferative activity. The consumer trend to increasingly purchase the less pungent, milder onion varieties may not be the best, since the onions with a stronger flavor and higher astringency appear to have superior health-promoting properties.

#2 User is offline   Mary 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

ugh! hate onion! i never use it while cooking!

#3 Guest_kihdwehdiw_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hey Nice to meet you !I am pleased to share with you here. <_< :rolleyes:

#4 User is offline   Bella 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

kihdwehdiw, on 04 November 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

Hey Nice to meet you !I am pleased to share with you here. <_< :rolleyes:

hey! :)

#5 User is offline   mattkemp 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

I like onions when i eat them , but while cutting them , it just gives me tears . Onion has a lot of health benefits it seems ( http://www.lifemojo....-onions-3191381 ) . Never knew it was good for the skin though !!

#6 User is offline   ericsaffold 

• Pip

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:39 AM

Few Reasons why onions are good for your health... Onions are known to boost HDL cholesterol and lower LDL cholesterol, Onions are good sources of several vitamins, and in particular vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E, It also known to help kill bacteria and Onions can prevent anemia, or a general thinning of the blood.

#7 User is offline   Brandon 

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

Onions bring heat to the area and this action brings the fever to that part of the body to control how far the infection spreads.Onions lower cholesterol as well. It wards off any infection in the stomach and kills worms and various other parasites.

#8 User is offline   Mona 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationOut there...

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

I just looooove how fried onions smell. lol
Lingerie to Kill for - Hot Lingerie from catwalks to designer boutiques, sexy lingerie news and hot trends.

#9 User is offline   Butterfly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

i dislike onions :mellow: but they are really good for health. :)

#10 User is offline   lav.katherine 

• PipPip

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Onion if you hate their smell simple soak them in vinegar for some time and then used in salad and tell me did you still hate onions.

#11 User is offline   Strega 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

I love Onions, didn't know that they are so healthy :rolleyes:
If you want to know how to furnish and decorate your house, then FurnishBurnish is a place for you!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Today's Fun Links