Vegetarian Dishes yummy stuff without any meat
Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:06 AM
California Grilled Veggie Sandwich
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/8 cup olive oil
* 1 cup sliced red bell peppers
* 1 small zucchini, sliced
* 1 red onion, sliced
* 1 small yellow squash, sliced
* 2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces, split horizontally
* 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
4. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and slightly melt the cheese. Watch carefully so the bottoms don't burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.
Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:08 AM
Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:13 AM
You can either make these burritos yourself or put the ingredients on the table and let everyone build their own.
You will need:
* 6 10-inch flour tortillas
* 2 c refried beans (canned ok) and/or black beans (soaked and cooked or canned, drained, and rinsed)
* 1 c cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (optional)
* 1-2 c lettuce, finely shredded
* 2-3 tomatoes, finely diced
* diced onion (optional)
* sour cream or vegan sour cream (optional)
* salsa (optional)
Wrap tortillas in foil and keep warm in 400° oven while you prepare other ingredients. When ready to serve, transfer to a plate.
Add a bit of water to beans and heat on the stove, stirring occasionally.
If allowing everyone to make their own burritos, place each ingredient in its own bowl with a spoon and set on the table along with the plate of tortillas.
To make the burrito, spread beans down the center of a tortilla and, sprinkle with cheese and vegetables. Roll up and eat.
I like to dip my burrito in sour cream and salsa, but you could also spread them inside where they will get warm and the sour cream melty.
Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:58 PM